Sunday, July 3, 2011

What a flight, 18hours! Glad to be on soil. We arrived late Saturday night. We had Sunday to catch up on rest and get energized with iced Vietnamese coffee. Yummo! We have an amazing group of 19. We did some sight seeing, market shopping and attended a beautiful Vietnamese wedding of a team members family. What an experience exchanging money and trying to bargain. There are people on the streets everywhere trying to make a living. It is very humbling walking through the streets and catching a glimpse of their reality.
We are talking about living quarters half the size of a child's bedroom for one family with no ac. I have nothing to complain about. When you see small children sleeping on the sidewalks as their parents work late into the night selling goods. We are so blessed.
I have to self reflect and think about what matters most. Don't get me wrong, I can do the the things like take care of my family, work hard, go to church, pray, teach my kids to be respectful and try to keep my house clean, but, what am I doing to impact the kingdom? How am I using my time and resources for His glory and purpose. You see, I'm not gonna lie, it is easy to serve those you love, those you know, those who are nice to you and those who can repay you, but what about all the others? It reminds me of scripture found in Luke 6, verses 32-37 which says that even sinners can do this. We are called to love our enemies, to do good, and to lend, expecting nothing in return, and our reward will be great. For me, this means loving all unconditionally regardless of position, title and habits. This reminds me of the Chris Tomlim song, "I Will Follow You." The words speak of loving who He loves, serving who He serves and following Him. It also reminds me of the Francis Chan video about the balance beam, if you haven't seen it, it's worth checking out and will only take 4 minutes of your time. That video was one that inspired me to take this trip. I was that person straddling the balance beam and holding on with both hands. All that to say, living, loving and serving for maximum kingdom impact. We will be heading out to visit the disabled orphanage today and you will hear more after that experience. Thanks for taking the time to share the journey, your support and friendship.
                                                              
                                    


5 comments:

  1. WOW, this really touched my heart. I am so honored and always have been to have you in my life. You are such a special person, and you have such a big heart! I'm praying for you! Be safe, and go get em! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll be praying for you. Be safe and God bless you and your team.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reminders Mary Ann! We'll be praying for you and your team!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary Ann- I'm enjoying your posts and updates! Your comments are very insightful, thank you for sharing. I have realized that one of my high school friends is part of your team- Cheyenne Weable. Please know I'm praying for you and team.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary Ann, bless you and your team for going out and sharing God's good news of love with the Vietnamese people. Romans 10:14&15 says, How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!"
    Y'all have brought the good news to a people who otherwise would not have heard it. How awesome that God would use you in such an honorable way. I am praying for you.

    ReplyDelete