Friday, July 8, 2011

Reminded of our blessings!

Howdy friends! I hope all are well in the states. Yesterday we left HoChi Minh after lunch and head out to a special needs orphanage. We had the opportunity to play, touch, laugh and sing with these sweet and precious children. There were many beautiful encounters. I will start with Sister Teresa. I had the unique opportunity to visit with this sweet servant that was able to speak Vietnamese, Spanish and some English. Sister Teresa has been doing the Lord's work for 17 years. She was a true angel from the inside out. Her spirit, smile and heart set her apart. I was humbled in her presence, broken and thankful for her work. You see these children she serves range from 2-20 years old with mild to severe disabilities. Not an easy job. She has dedicated her life to the cause with the most amazing disposition. Her love and patience for these children is like no other. After our visit I was able to walk around and visit the kiddos. Although the there was a language barrier, God's love was the language of choice. I met many new friends that I was able to to smile at, touch, sing and clap with. Of course, for them initially, the most important thing was the bag of lollipops I carried in. Candy has an international language!
There was one special room set up with a handful of children that were basically crib ridden. This by far the most overwhelming for me. The images for ever etched in my mind. Some content, others not. All longing for human interaction. It was an amazing sight to see the calmness and joy that followed once they received it.


On a lighter note I meet a 5 year old named Kimchi. Her nickname Chichi. Let me just say the girl was crazy, happy and mischievous.



1 comment:

  1. Oh MaryAnn, I feel so inspired by your leap of faith and service to God! We have been praying for you and those in your group. I have loved reading your thoughts and seeing those sweet pictures. Give Noah a hug from me when you get home!
    Love,
    Kristina Bell

    ReplyDelete